With the exciting events of the presidential race now underway (that may have sounded sarcastic, but I do mean it! This is an interesting time for all parties involved), there are so many stories going around about each of the candidates and this seems to be the freshest time to present an argument or a change to something.
Yet again, we find ourselves talking about civil rights today! This isn't a bad thing at all, I just don't want to find myself falling into certain traps that I see people take with civil rights. We've been asked if we should ever give up our civil rights for the greater good. I enjoy the openness of this question, because we first must ask ourselves WHAT rights that would be and for WHAT is the greater good.
So let's talk terms (turkey?) before we go to out article. I looked under the book that we used for our A.P. Government and Law class and it says that civil rights are "the rights of citizens to political and social freedom and equality." which means a few things right off the bat. If we are to give away these things, that means there must be something SERIOUSLY wrong. If you think about it, it makes sense. Should someone ever sacrifice their rights to freedom for the greater good? What would that greater good look like? Think about it. We're talking about your freedom, what our armed solders around the world fight for. And in order to give that up, there must be something important going on.
Here's the article I mentioned would be here before!: http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2016/02/bernie-sanders-core-university-chicago
What I find interesting is that we seem to compare the ideas of someone's beliefs on the issue of civil rights to what they were doing during the civil rights movement or what they believe from it. While i think that era is VERY important to the rights that many minorities have today, it's not everything. Because if you do think about it, that era of the 1960s was a long time ago (sorry Dad).
So why do I bring up the past to talk about the future? Good question! If you're still reading... Well I looked back at the question that we are suppose to answer and I see that it asks if it is ever NECESSARY to give up your civil rights, not SHOULD you ever give them up. That to me makes all the difference because while I myself would be alright with handing over my rights to help say my country or the people I care about it, I can't actually think of one time it would be NECESSARY to do such a thing. You could take the patriot act as an example, though people argue the merits of that program and if it was truly necessary.
The only time that we ever change things seems to be too late. Airports are the saddest example of this after 9/11, but there are so many more examples that we could list. And I don't think it's ever necessary to cash in your rights, but I don't think people should be on the forefront of trying to save them because if times change (and they do ever so quickly), you may need to hand them over. It's that kind of sacrifice that may be hard to come by, but will help the greater good in itself.
Yet again, we find ourselves talking about civil rights today! This isn't a bad thing at all, I just don't want to find myself falling into certain traps that I see people take with civil rights. We've been asked if we should ever give up our civil rights for the greater good. I enjoy the openness of this question, because we first must ask ourselves WHAT rights that would be and for WHAT is the greater good.
So let's talk terms (turkey?) before we go to out article. I looked under the book that we used for our A.P. Government and Law class and it says that civil rights are "the rights of citizens to political and social freedom and equality." which means a few things right off the bat. If we are to give away these things, that means there must be something SERIOUSLY wrong. If you think about it, it makes sense. Should someone ever sacrifice their rights to freedom for the greater good? What would that greater good look like? Think about it. We're talking about your freedom, what our armed solders around the world fight for. And in order to give that up, there must be something important going on.
Here's the article I mentioned would be here before!: http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2016/02/bernie-sanders-core-university-chicago
What I find interesting is that we seem to compare the ideas of someone's beliefs on the issue of civil rights to what they were doing during the civil rights movement or what they believe from it. While i think that era is VERY important to the rights that many minorities have today, it's not everything. Because if you do think about it, that era of the 1960s was a long time ago (sorry Dad).
So why do I bring up the past to talk about the future? Good question! If you're still reading... Well I looked back at the question that we are suppose to answer and I see that it asks if it is ever NECESSARY to give up your civil rights, not SHOULD you ever give them up. That to me makes all the difference because while I myself would be alright with handing over my rights to help say my country or the people I care about it, I can't actually think of one time it would be NECESSARY to do such a thing. You could take the patriot act as an example, though people argue the merits of that program and if it was truly necessary.
The only time that we ever change things seems to be too late. Airports are the saddest example of this after 9/11, but there are so many more examples that we could list. And I don't think it's ever necessary to cash in your rights, but I don't think people should be on the forefront of trying to save them because if times change (and they do ever so quickly), you may need to hand them over. It's that kind of sacrifice that may be hard to come by, but will help the greater good in itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment