Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Life of Truman Burbank, 1984-1998

If you're good at math, you may notice that mine doesn't seem to make a lot of sense! Because from my math, that would make Truman 14 years old when he "died" from television which can't be right at all!

That's actually not totally my point... I see the movie of "The Truman Show" being a very chilling compassion to the novel of 1984 (hence when he was "born", dying after the movie itself was out in theaters. I was one year old at the time, can you imagine! My how time flies.)! I want to break my argument into several different categories, just in case if you're not convinced that these two have anything in common (I didn't either at first).....

<SURVEILLANCE>
I think that it's important to understand that the examples used with Truman are going to seem far more humane, wether it's because Jim Carrey did a wonderful job with his role, or that the rules are not that strict for Truman. Yes, both members follow the rules of their society, it's just that if Truman happens to break some laws, it probably won't be the worst thing in the world. But yes. Both are being watching at a fairly close level and more people tune in as the story continues!! We see examples of the many different types of cameras that Truman has around him and we know how personal the government (Party) can get in 1984. Check out my previous blog post to get a little more insight on this article!

<NO ESCAPE>
This one feels like there's no need to explain....

<(a streetcar named)DESIRE TO LEAVE>
Both characters seem like they are unhappy with the ives that they have and want to leave! We see throughout the course of each story them try to do that. Sure, the Party breaks Winston (open to interoperation) and it's only Truman who truly leaves, but both express this passion to want to go somewhere else; and a common theme could connect back to the fact of a journey and that they both WANT to leave, but don't know how and when to do so. They always feel like their (false) life gets in the way sometimes

<LOVE>
Doesn't everyone love a great love story? And I must say that the only thing more unique than watching it come together is actually sometimes how it falls apart (I know, I know, I'm a monster. But those things don't happen over night and in order to create that sense of hate, it must take time and an adequate story line and persuading roles by good actors). But both Truman and Winston find women that they should not be with (wither by control or rule) but yet find a way to sneak around with. It's obvious that Winston did more with his feelings that Truman did but I appreciate the irony of it because it would feel like Truman would have more liberty to do things like that, yet we see Winston break the rules to a further extent. I think it also has something to do with the fact that he KNOWS the rules that he's breaking are wrong. Poor Truman has no idea.

2 comments:

  1. I like the connection of the women of the story. They were both rebellious. They helped the guys grow in a way that was for the better. Truman was "happy" in his life, but always held on to this other route he could've gone down. And Winston realized that the government worse than he had thought and that it needed to be changed even if he didn't live to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you broke this down into sections the way you did. It makes it very easy to read. Also, the last section "love" is very interesting. I like the point you bring up about Winston breaking the rule more than Truman does, when Truman has more of the freedom to. Do you think this is because Truman's rules on love are not as strict at Winston's, or because he simply doesn't know they exist?

    ReplyDelete