Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Talking to her about computer hardware, I made my mother board

If you're still reading this article after the ridiculous title (that I spent way too much time laughing at), congrats! Welcome to what is technically called Blog Post 4, though let's not look at it like that! There is a reason I want to mention the blog itself and that's because we're going to talk about technology! Well, more or less. Let's see if you get it! Let me explain.

In 1984, there are very common themes and motifs of the government watching its civilians weither they approve or not, as well as the different types of technology that people have the government uses as portals to access information about people's lives. It's funny because in a book, this idea may seem crazy with the reader going back to the whole "yeah, but that's never going to happen in today's society because we would know better" routine. Well wake up! It's happened.

(Just in case if you missed it, click the link provided on the last sentence of the previous paragraph. It kind of sets up what I'm about to talk about)....

The government is lying to us. And there's a chance you don't even know it!

Look I know that we can read a book like 1984 and agree such a society would never be tolerated in a place like the United States, but these things don't happen overnight and ignorance cannot be to blame anymore. We all know that the government takes information from our computers, like what they did to 1984, and are collecting it for "research and protection". How would it be possible to know that something is not right? However, as citizens we must make sure that this does not go too far. The fact is that now that we know the things that Edward has shown us (and others, he just happens to be the most famous at the moment) and we simply cannot ignore them anymore.

I don't think George Orwell saw the future QUITE like how it is today, though I must say, he did a pretty good job for taking a shot in the dark. This issue has followed us since the time he wrote the book and will continue to haunt us! Now try and imagine what things might look like if you couldn't see the black boxes at all! And it feels like there is nothing that we can do. Sure, things like the Patriot Act have fallen through, but the key thing we need is proof. A lot of this can be solved by TRYING to do something. I have had the discussion in this class as well as others, and a lot of people don't seem to mind if the government takes their information because they are doing nothing wrong, but you give these people and inch and they will take a mile! We cannot become like the people in 1984 and not able to question our government! But if we continue on this path, we may not have a choice.


This is the first blog post in which I did not change the font or anything about the style of writing and I have a reason for it! And no. It's not laziness. Mostly. More as a unique point of contention, who is to say that the government isn't altering files? Just because they can view them and SAY they do not have direct access to them, how are we suppose to believe that????

2 comments:

  1. I think the white highlighted sentences are cool. Honestly at first glance I was like "what? Are you joking me? I am not reading this one." Then I got up and did a musical number at rehearsal and came back and actually tried. I think that it was a touch to the article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you brought up some great points, like you do in class. It is honestly terrifying to think that the government is seeing everything that we do, and I think that you captured a lot of the anxiety I have because of this. The idea that we are becoming like the people under Ingsoc seems unreal, but it is unfortunately becoming a reality.

    ReplyDelete