Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Ted Cruz and Offred; a match made in heaven

I know what you're thinking.

Please, PLEASE don't do a blog with politics. They never end well.

Please.

Too bad!!!

So if you're still reading at this point, congrats! That means that not only are you curious what my reference is going to be with politics but that we made it to the end of The Handmaid's Tale! Certainly an interesting book, but I want to focus on that ending. As Offred ends her story in the book, her journey is just beginning. We get some strange advice from Nick about who to trust and an uncertain future.

And how fitting is it that as I was finishing up this book, Ted Cruz popped up on the old Tele! Only it wasn't really good news. He was announcing that he was done with the presidential race after an embarrassing loss in Indiana. Which means that Donald Trump has basically the easiest path to the nomination. Think about it. He's basically the last one standing. Him.

As I was sitting there worrying about it though (I am NOT a fan of Donald Trump even if this next part may seem like I am), I thought it was similar to the book in that we TECHNICALLY have an ending to this part of the story, but there is still so much that is unknown and we don't know who to trust. I get that this is going to make me seem like I like Donald Trump (not true), but we don't know what about happen. Let's face it, we haven't been pleased at some of our presidents when they took office, and yet some of them (SOME) were able to turn around their public image.

I don't think people growing up now know it, but in the 1930s a lot of Americans blamed the Depression on Franklin Roosevelt. He was far from the hero then that he seems to be now. And it's true. So maybe, MAYBE (in an attempt to also connect the political sphere to our class) Donald is the one that we need. Society clearly is not where we all want it to be, and people know see and hope for different times. I see Offred and Donald Trump in the same boat, as they both will continue from a journey FAR from normal, and into a unique and unforeseeable future. 

5 comments:

  1. I like your perspective on the situation as a whole, but I also think Trump could lead us into Offred's world as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like how you are playing devils advocate for many Trump Haters (such as myself), but Offred seems like she is going into a future much less distractive, and with much less power than Trump has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you make an interesting point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you connected this to other presidents who were disliked in their time. While I think that Trump is hated on a much stronger level than some candidates, I can see how he might just be saying some of this to get the vote, and then change while in office.

    ReplyDelete